We’re less than a month away from 2022, so that means that it’s time to announce my first “Star Of The Month” blogathon of the year! Of course, as you can tell from the post title, I’m focusing on two stars instead of one (in this instance, the “Singing Sweethearts” team of Jeanette MacDonald and Nelson Eddy)! Before I get any further, I would like to mention that I will focus on some other screen teams in 2022, but I will also mostly continue the focus for most months on just one star (with the exception of musical screen teams in September). I will give one hint on which months will focus on screen teams: those with five Sundays (mostly so that I can do two solo films each and one team-up). So be sure to sign up here if you’re interested in doing a film with Jeanette MacDonald and/or Nelson Eddy!
Table Of Contents
My Own Feelings On Jeanette MacDonald And Nelson Eddy
For me, Jeanette MacDonald and Nelson Eddy are a pair that I’ve come around to over the last decade. I had seen some of their films before that, like San Francisco (1936) for Jeanette and Dancing Lady (1933) for Nelson (if you get technical, I’d heard him long before that since he voiced the Disney cartoon “Willie, The Operatic Whale” from the 1946 film Make Mine Music, although I mostly just saw the short on VHS as opposed to that entire movie). I had more or less heard of them through the clips used in the That’s Entertainment series, but their operatic style didn’t appeal to me, and their appearances included in the That’s Entertainment films didn’t leave much of an impression on me. Eventually, as I mentioned in my reviews for Rose-Marie (1936) and Naughty Marietta (1935), I worked my way into their films, and I’ve developed a greater appreciation for them, both together and apart. I definitely feel like their popularity has really faded with time, and that’s one reason I wanted to put the focus on them for a month. I know I look forward to seeing some new films for them, revisiting some yet-unreviewed favorites, and hopefully in the process convince others to check them out!
Roster For The Jeanette MacDonald And Nelson Eddy “Star Of The Month (January 2022)” Blogathon
Since this is obviously for next month’s blogathon on Jeanette MacDonald and Nelson Eddy, then that’s all you need to worry about signing up for. As always, here are the rules that we are working with.
- At this point, I am not putting any restrictions on topics related to the various stars, so you can choose to do one of their films (whether it’s one of their solo movies or one made as a team), or biographies, lists of favorites, etc.
- These celebrations are intended as tributes to these stars, so I would ask that any participating posts be respectful of the stars themselves. Obviously, if you don’t care for that specific star (or stars), that would probably not be a good month to join in.
- I’m requesting that all posts would be new material, and not any previously published ones.
- As previously indicated, these celebrations of the stars and genres will last a whole month each, so you will have that whole month to work with. I myself will be publishing about four or five posts per month (depending on the number of Sundays and whether there are any recent disc releases that would fit the bill), so you can decide how many you want to do (within reason).
- If you are interested in joining, I would certainly suggest you either comment on this post, email me at email@example.com, or, for the Facebook savvy, contact me at my FB page. And feel free to use the banners I have put together (due to this blogathon focusing on a team instead of one star, I will actually have several to choose from, as opposed to my usual one).
Thoughts From The Music(al) Man
- Monte Carlo (1930), The Cat And The Fiddle (1934), The Girl Of The Golden West (1938), The Chocolate Soldier (1941), Phantom Of The Opera (1943) and Make Mine Music (1946)