Moving right along, I’m here to remind everybody that the Star Of The Month for July will be James Cagney! So, if you’re interested in being a part of July’s blogathon, be sure to sign up on this post!
Table Of Contents
My Own Feelings On James Cagney
Given my fondness for musicals, I doubt it’ll surprise much of anybody that my introduction to actor James Cagney was his 1942 classic Yankee Doodle Dandy (which is also the reason I chose him as the Star for the month of July, since I’ve been wanting to review that film for a while now). I’ve seen (and enjoyed) a couple of his other musicals, and I’ve ventured into some of his non-musical films as well. Obviously, he’s known for playing tough guys and gangsters, and, from the handful I’ve been able to see, he’s done a good job of that! But, I will also readily admit that I’ve still seen only a small fraction of his filmography, and that is something I’m looking forward to changing! My own plans are (with one obvious exception) to look into some of his movies that I’ve never seen before. I certainly hope that maybe they might appeal to others, and I hope that I’ll be joined in this endeavor, so that we all can discover more of his movies!
Upcoming Schedule For 2021 (Beyond July):
August – star: Barbara Stanwyck
September – genre: Musicals
October – nothing
November – star: Humphrey Bogart
December (1-24) – genre: Christmas films
December (25-31) – nothing
Roster For The James Cagney “Star Of The Month (June 2021)” Blogathon
Since this is obviously for next month’s blogathon on James Cagney, then that’s all you need to worry about signing up for. As always, here are the rules that we are working with.
- At this point, I am not putting any restrictions on topics related to the various stars, whether it be any of their films, or biographies, lists of favorites, etc.
- These celebrations are intended as tributes to these stars, so I would ask that any participating posts be respectful of the stars themselves. Obviously, if you don’t care for that specific star, that would probably not be a good month to join in.
- I’m requesting that all posts would be new material, and not any previously published ones.
- As previously indicated, these celebrations of the stars and genres will last a whole month each, so you will have that whole month to work with. I myself will be publishing about four or five posts per month (depending on the number of Sundays and whether there are any recent disc releases that would fit the bill), so you can decide how many you want to do (within reason).
- If you are interested in joining, I would certainly suggest you either comment on this post, email me at firstname.lastname@example.org, or, for the Facebook savvy, contact me at my FB page. And feel free to use the banners I have put together (I’m still unsure of how much space I will have to work with over time on pictures, so for now I am doing one each).
Thoughts From The Music(al) Man
- The Public Enemy (1931), Each Dawn I Die (1939), Yankee Doodle Dandy (1942), White Heat (1949), Man Of A Thousand Faces (1957) and Never Steal Anything Small (1959)